[Xmonad] xmonad is a zipper

Robert Marlow bobstopper at bobturf.org
Thu May 17 08:50:03 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 05:24 -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> First and foremost: it seems that your zipper idea is taking a change in
> the user interface, and expressing it in the data structure.  Wouldn't it
> make more sense to first have the discussion of what user interface is
> desired, and then implement it afterwards? Or did this discussion already
> occur on IRC, and everyone agreed that they didn't like the focus-stack
> behavior?
>
> Personally, I prefer the idea of a focus stack, but will concur that your
> non-stack approach isn't much worse.  And the data structure is certainly
> beautiful--except that it presumes that there exists a fixed layout based
> on order of windows, which I don't prefer as a UI.  But I understand that
> most of you do.

Just to touch on this - the subject did come up on IRC. It shouldn't be
difficult to separate the focus and layout again by adding a layout list
while keeping the focus zipper. It should even be simpler for some tasks
such as adding new windows to the master position. But it is extra
book-keeping and it seems most users prefer focus order = layout order
for tiling mode.

--
Robert Marlow <bobstopper at bobturf.org>