[Xmonad] darcs patch: keep focus stack.

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Thu May 10 10:49:30 EDT 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007 06:19:09 -0700
David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here's an amend-recorded version of my focus stack patch, which fixes
> recent conflicts.  I understand there's some debate (presumably on
> IRC?) as to what is the best way to deal with the focus issues, and
> figure that having working code to consider could come in handy in
> the discussion. It's also a significant usability improvement in the
> meantime...
>
> David
>
> Thu May 10 06:16:37 PDT 2007  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
>   * keep focus stack.

Thanks a lot for fixing these conflicts.  I was going to apply this (to
my local repo) last night, but when I saw conflicts I decided sleep was
a better option :).

The only concern I have is that focus changing in tiled mode becomes
less obvious.  In the original model, focus would always move to the
next window in layout order -- which is visually clear in tiled
mode.  In full mode, however, focus changing is often unintuitive
(especially when popup-like windows are involved).

In the new model, focus follows some invisible ordering -- an ordering
that is certainly better for full mode, but is it better for tiled?

I'm going to try this patch for a few days.  I'd like feedback from any
other people that have tried it.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen