[Xmonad] darcs patch: add Mosaic layout.

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu May 3 11:17:11 EDT 2007

Hi all,

This adds my Mosaic extensible layout, using the extensible layouts patch
that I just sent in.  This isn't a terribly sophisticated layout engine,
but at least it works better for me than any of the default ones.  And more
to the point, it demonstrates how to use the extensible layout patch that I
just sent in to implement a non-trivial layout scheme.

If you want to play with this, the interesting bindings are:

mod-L : make windows wider
mod-H : make windows taller

mod-shift-L : Make currently focussed window bigger
mod-shift-H : Make currently focussed window smaller
mod-shift-S : Try to make the currently focussed window square, if possible

All these adjustments are remembered, so you can arrange things as you
wish, to a limited extent.

As I said, it's pretty crude.  An obvious extension would be to use
windowing hints (e.g. from the recently posted patch) to get better
defaults for the preferred aspect ratios and sizes.  The layout algorithm
isn't smart enough currently to even handle absolute sizes for windows.
But that's the sort of thing that'd be worth adding.

David

Thu May  3 08:10:24 PDT 2007  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
  * add Mosaic layout.