[Xmonad] [patch] size hints

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Tue May 1 19:19:18 EDT 2007

Peter De Wachter on 2007-05-01 12:36:14 +0200:

> This patch makes xmonad obey (some) size hints set by clients, for
> example the aspect ratio hint set by mplayer. I also implemented the
> max size and size increment hints, as some clients seem to get
> confused if their window is "too large" (for example Xephyr).

I haven't tried your updated patch, but this version worked pretty well
and is a nice usability improvement.

I did some tests with zenity (GTK+ version of dialog) and was pleased to
see that windows were of a sane size instead of stretched and distorted
to full screen; pinentry-gtk for inputting GPG passphrases also acted
nicely.  Not all of the windows I expected to be resized were, though;
in particular, the Konqueror/kwallet password prompt that is properly
resized in dwm was still stretched to full screen.

Additionally, the windows I tested that were resized appeared at the
top-right of the screen instead of centered.  I don't know if there's an
optional hint to center them that zenity's not setting, if your code
isn't acting on such a hint, or it's expected to be implemented in the
window manager, but it would be nice if the windows appeared centered on
the screen.