[Xmonad] Heads up: upgrade X11-extras now

Dave Harrison dave at nullcube.com
Fri Jun 29 22:56:05 EDT 2007

Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:17:18 -0500
> Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu> wrote:
>
>> Before you update xmonad to the latest darcs, be sure to upgrade
>> X11-extras, or you risk losing windows.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Spencer Janssen
>
> Actually, this is not quite sufficient (good catch by Stefan).  Here is
> what will work:
>  - darcs pull X11-extras, clean, build, install X11-extras
>  - 'runhaskell Setup clean', build, install X11-xmonad
>  - restart into the newly built executable
>  - view each of your workspaces at least once
>  - darcs pull xmonad
>  - clean, build, install xmonad
>  - restart
>
> Or you can just be safe and totally restart X the next time you upgrade.
>

> Cheers,
> Spencer Janssen

Hey all,

Nice totally fresh checkouts of all 3,

xmonad, Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu>**20070630021026]
X11-extras, Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu>**20070620211004]
XMonadContrib, l.mai at web.de**20070629171038

X11-extras builds fine, but I'm getting this build error for xmonad,

% sudo runhaskell Setup.lhs build
Preprocessing executables for xmonad-0.2...
Building xmonad-0.2...
[ 2 of 13] Compiling XMonad           ( XMonad.hs,
dist/build/xmonad/xmonad-tmp/XMonad.o )

XMonad.hs:62:5:
    No instance for (Read Rectangle)
      arising from the 'deriving' clause of a data type declaration
      at XMonad.hs:62:5
    Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Read Rectangle)
    When deriving the instance for `Read ScreenDetail'