[Xmonad] Xnest and Xmonad

Andy Gimblett A.M.Gimblett at swansea.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 08:30:51 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 01:11:28PM +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> Can someone give me some idiot-level step by step instructions for
> how to run xmonad inside xnest, alongside other running
> applications?  I have all the pieces; I just need to know how to set
> up the config files or whatever.  I know some of you have done this.

I haven't used this for a while, and there might be more bulletproof
ways to do this, but I used to run xmonad inside xmonad (with
different modkeys) using this shell script (or rather, something like
it - I've thrown out some vestigal stuff).

Caveat: I haven't tested this before sending - but it ought to be
reasonable, I think.

--

#!/bin/sh

Xnest :1 -name "Xnest" +kb -ac -bw 5 -geometry 1260x780 &
XNEST_PROC=$!

DISPLAY=:1
xsetroot -display :1 -solid gray

/home/gimbo/xmonad/xmonad/dist/build/xmonad/xmonad

wait $!
kill $XNEST_PROC

--

Hope this helps!