[Xmonad] named workspaces, tags and sticky windows

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Jun 17 23:19:58 EDT 2007

avi.rozen:
> Hi,
>
> I have several related questions regarding named workspaces:
>
> Dumb question first: how do I name a workspace?
> It seems to be possible according to this screenshot:
> http://www.xmonad.org/images/screen-rob-circle.png
> but I can't figure out how it's done...

The trick is that internally workspaces are all numbered, 0 .. 8.
But then you write a logHook that maps those numbers to strings, you
print to standard output.

logHook = ....
    ..

  where
    name 0 = "dev"
    name 1 = "web"
    name n = show n

> I like the way wmii generalized the workspace concept with tagging -
> is there any plan to support such a scheme?

Tagging and Xinerama seems a bit icky, but I could imagine tagging
emulated in a contrib module. You just track the window -> tag map in a
contrib module, and use that to work out what to draw on the screen.

> Can this be done with a contrib module?
> (note that in wmii a window with several tags may have different
> size/position in each tag-workspace to which it belongs).

More stuff to track.

> I'm guessing that this requires changes to the xmonad core - is this
> correct?

Hmm. Possibly not.

> In the meantime - is there a way to get a window to appear (possibly
> floating) on several or all workspaces (again: can this be done with a
> contrib module)?

Yes, you move it into place in the floating layer, then unmanage it.

> (I'm looking for a way to make a window "sticky" *and* "managed" -
> unlike dzen which is in the unmanaged border).

Not really support, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to hack up an
emulation of 'sticky' mode, just be keeping track of windows that should
always be moved onto whatever workspace is current.

-- Don