[Xmonad] Issue 23 in xmonad: Processes from .xinitrc stay around forever

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Jun 13 08:46:04 EDT 2007

kai.grossjohann:
> codesite-noreply at google.com writes:
>
> > When one of the processes started in the background from .xinitrc
> > exits, it will stay around as a "defunct" process until
> > xmonad quits, because xmonad apparently doesn't wait() on processes
> > that it doesn't even know about. I'm not entirely sure whether this is
> > typical behavior for a window manager, nor whether it should be
> > considered a bug.
>
> I guess if .xinitrc started them, .xinitrc should wait on them.
>
> Kai

I explicitly wait in my .xinitrc, (here's the script exec'd from
.xinitrc)

    FG='#a8a3f7'
    BG='#3f3c6d'
    FONT="-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso8859-1"

    PATH=/home/dons/bin:$PATH

    #
    # with a pipe talking to an external program
    #
    PIPE=$HOME/.xmonad-status
    rm -f $PIPE
    /sbin/mkfifo -m 600 $PIPE
    [ -p $PIPE ] || exit

    # launch the external 60 second clock, and launch the workspace status bar
    xmonad-clock | dzen2 -e '' -x 300 -w 768 -ta r -fg $FG -bg $BG -fn $FONT &

    # and a workspace status bar
    dzen2 -e '' -w 300 -ta l -fg $FG -bg $BG -fn $FONT < $PIPE &

    # go for it
    xmonad > $PIPE &

    # wait for xmonad
    wait $!