[Xmonad] Tabbed layout, xinerama, strange crashing

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 11:37:31 EDT 2007

Hi

> > Any chance we can avoid exporting partial functions from StackSet?
> > It's not much use in terms of robustness to quickcheck that StackSet
> > behaves properly and then export functions that will kill xmonad if
> > used improperly.
>
> Yes, we ought to look through the functions in StackSet and evaluate
> whether the partial functions are worth keeping.  I defer to Don on
> this one, because it's his code.

I've pointed out before that you export these partial functions. If
you really don't want to export partial functions, Catch is the tool
to use :)

> > In general, stability seems to be the weakest point of xmonad at the
> > moment--contrary to the advertizing.
>
> I disagree with this statement.  In general, xmonad's core has been very
> stable.  All the crashes I've seen lately are due to buggy contrib
> modules.

Perhaps you need to start "quality-controlling" the contrib module -
ideally in an automated way. Are the contrib's pure, or do they
involve the X layer? Could you quickcheck/catch them?

Thanks

Neil