[Xmonad] Xinerama & switching workspaces

Kai Grossjohann kai.grossjohann at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Jun 11 08:40:57 EDT 2007

I think what I want is the following behavior:

Each workspace has a "home screen".  Switching to other workspaces (at
least via RotView, perhaps also via direct access Mod-1 .. Mod-9)
refuses to display workspaces with the wrong "home screen".

There is an extra function / keybinding to show a workspace
unconditionally, regardless of its home screen.

Not sure how to handle workspaces that don't have a home screen yet.
Perhaps Mod-{1,..,9} should display them as if their home screen was the
current screen, then set their home screen to the current screen.  But
RotView should display them without also setting the home screen.

Perhaps switching to a different workspace would set the home screen of
the workspace on the screen we're just leaving.

The rationale for this is my usage pattern: I find that in my mind,
certain workspaces are reserved and always there.  For example, I always
have a workspace for web browsing, one for reading email, one for
developing, and one for running VMware.  On any given day, there may be
additional workspaces with other purposes, that are different each day.

And I also find that I always want to show the web browser on screen 1
whereas my mail reader should be on screen 2.  So it makes sense to me
to set the home screen of the web workspace to 1, so that it is always
shown there.

What do people think?

Kai