[Xmonad] Show windows in status bar?

Kai Grossjohann kai.grossjohann at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Jun 11 05:44:40 EDT 2007

What I like about dwm is that it shows me the title of the currently
focussed window in the status bar.  Has anyone done this for xmonad?

Furthermore, it would be cool to get some indication of other windows on
the current workspace: One could display a list of titles and highlight
the currently focussed window.  The difficult part is that the list of
titles is likely long, so one would have to shorten it somehow.

List of titles:

Emacs / xterm 1 / [xterm 2] / Gaim / xload

Here, xterm 2 would be the current window.

Shortening the list of titles:

  - Truncate title of current window to 20 (configurable)
  - Truncate titles of other windows to 10 each (configurable)
  - Only print windows around the currently focussed one.
  - Use ellipsis to show truncations

     |      |         |         |     Windows omitted from rear
     |      Truncated titles of nonactive windows
     Windows omitted from front
                      Truncated title of active window

Thoughts?  Opinions?