[Xmonad] Problem with transients and xinerama

Bruce Stephens xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 10 07:30:47 EDT 2007

dons at cse.unsw.edu.au (Donald Bruce Stewart) writes:

> xmonad:
>> I'm finding that pop-up dialogs seem sometimes to appear on the wrong
>> screen.  Wrong in the sense that at the time, the focused window is on
>> the other screen, so I'm expecting a transient on that window to
>> appear on the same screen (at least initially).
>
> Very interesting
> You have a specific app that seems to do this?

synaptic: the dialog that tells about other packages that will be
removed or added.  So if you ask to remove libc6 or something, the
dialog that pops up warning about dependencies seems to appear at
(0,0), regardless of where the main synaptic window is.

kaffeine: when playing a movie, pressing v pops up a dialog
controlling some video settings.  That appears:

xwininfo: Window id: 0x120078e "Video Settings - Kaffeine Player"

  Absolute upper-left X:  640
  Absolute upper-left Y:  307
  Relative upper-left X:  640
  Relative upper-left Y:  307
  Width: 449
  Height: 249

even when the main kaffeine window is

  Absolute upper-left X:  1280
  Absolute upper-left Y:  0
  Relative upper-left X:  1280
  Relative upper-left Y:  0

These are (I guess) application bugs, but it feels like the kind of
thing a window manager could fairly easily work around.  It probably
makes sense to do so in xmonad, since the transients are much harder
to interact with in this case than in other window managers.