[Xmonad] Xinerama & switching workspaces

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Jun 10 05:30:00 EDT 2007

dave:
> >> And, is there a better way to find something on another workspace ?
> >
> > I use the state logging facility, and xmonad-status.c to display a
> > little status bar showing the current workspace, and those others with
> > clients on them -- I'm actually addicted to this script now.
> > It takes the logging output, and prints it as:
> >
> >     1 2 [3] 5 8
> >
> > giving the indices of non-empty workspaces, and the focused one.
> > Pipe that into dzen, and off you go. Examples in XMonadContrib/scripts/
> >
> > I the darcs version, you enable this by setting logging = True,
> > and having xmonad-status.c built and in your path.
>
> I've grep'd the code, and can't find where I'm meant to set logging =
> True ?

Right!  I warned you I was working on that code :-)

Rather than being a simple 'logging  :: Bool' , the logging hook
is now an arbitrary chunk of code to run on each state change.

    logHook :: X ()

An example,
    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/tmp/Config.hs

(my config set up)

So, given that state logging to stdout, my xinitrc now contains:

    dzen2 -e '' -ta l -fg $FG -bg $BG -fn $FONT < $PIPE &
    xmonad > $PIPE &

where $PIPE is a fifo.  In all its glory,
    http://darcs.haskell.org/~sjanssen/XMonadContrib/scripts/run-xmonad.sh

See the mail earlier today about 'a new logging framework' :-)

-- Don