[Xmonad] darcs patch: add decorations infrastructure

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Jun 9 20:20:49 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 05:54:58PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:27:00 -0700
> David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here's some infrastructure to allow layouts to define window
> > decorations such as tabs or title bars.  I'm mostly sending it in to
> > get comments. I soon hope to have a crude tabbed layout using this.
> >
> > David
> >
> > Sat Jun  9 12:23:49 PDT 2007  David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net>
> >   * add decorations infrastructure
>
> I think we should leverage the existing layout/message system as much
> as possible here.  Proposed modifications:
>  - instance Message XEvent
>  - dispatch unhandled XEvents to layouts
>  - add another message type: data ViewMsg = View | Hide -- send this
> message to layouts on workspace change
>  - put modifyLayout in the X monad

This does sound like a better approach.

> This should give us enough flexibility to do decorations inside layouts
> without polluting the core with decoration handling.

That still doesn't give us any way to delete decorations when they are no
longer needed.  At a minimum we'd also need to send an event/message when
we want to switch layouts.  The user could always do this in his/her config
file, but it'd be nicer for layout writers to not put this burden on their
users, and to be able to rely on *always* getting notified when they are no
longer in control of the screen (and thus need to clean up anything they've
stuck on it).
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net