[Xmonad] the future of xmonad...

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Jun 9 15:16:13 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 11:17:43AM -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> The core xmonad developers (which doesn't include me) aren't (so far as I
> can tell) ion3 refugees, and don't have the same desired features.  But
> they do seem quite friendly to the idea of making xmonad extensible, and
> for anything that can be done in XMonadContrib, we seem to be totally
> open.

well, as I said I do not master XMonad's code very well, but I have the
feeling that the design allows a lot of extensibility. The API is
simple and clear, and with gaps you can do a lot also with external
programs. I discovered this HGL library recently.

I got to know some of the projects of the core developers and I think
XMonad can be a good choice. Moreover the code is short and one can
come to understand it. I'm confident on this.

> I'm also keen on hs-plugins support.  In principle, it's not considered
> objectionable, so far as I can tell, but dons thinks hs-plugins is too
> heavyweight for xmonad (paraphrasing from memory).

I've read something like that, and I agree. It is not a core
requirement for a WM, in my opinion. Still I think it can be done by
just writing a very small contrib module. It's just a matter of
editing a bit XMonadContrib.Commands...;-)

> I'd say that xmonad source is pretty darn easy to modify, and small enough
> that it doesn't require haddock.  But I also doubt haddock patches would
> be rejected.

Haddock's output is better than grep, in my opinion at least.

All the best.
Andrea