[Xmonad] Howtos wanted: Configuring xmonad with display managers

Bruce Stephens xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 2 14:57:38 EDT 2007

Bruce Stephens <xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk> writes:

[...]

> I'm running Debian unstable with gdm, and I just have an executable
> script ~/.xsession which (after running ssh-agent, etc.) runs xmonad.
> As, before, it ran ion3.

Shows how long ago I first started doing this: the critical step is to
choose the Xsession session when logging in to gdm.  I imagine kdm
does something similar.

By default they'll give you a typical gnome or kde setup (modified by
local files), but you can ask for the traditional option which mostly
involves running ~/.xsession, if it exists, and some default script
otherwise.  There are (typically) some stumbling blocks to do with
PATH and so on, but I imagine most people could resolve those easily
enough once they'd at least got the right window manager running.

[...]