[Xmonad] Notes on xmonad
simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 5 11:42:15 EDT 2007
Here are some note I jotted down as I was working on the xmonad code.
* allocaXEvent/nextEvent/getEvent sequence is too ugly to appear in
Main! You can hide the EventPtr structure in the XMonad, and
allocate it in runX.
* When you resize the xnest window, the new size isn't reported to xmonad.
Instead, the xmonad window is truncated. Turns out to be xnest's fault.
* Ugly Stack vs StackOrNot. This should be hidden inside StackSet.
The only place it's used is in runLayout.
Likewise there should be only one exported integrate, not
integrate and integrate'
* 'modify' is defined in Control.Monad.State and in StackSet -- very confusing.
Furthermore, although modify, modify' are exported from StackSet,
they are never used (and probably should not be exported, so as
to preserve the abstaction).
* In StackSet.findIndex, use integrate rather than reimplementing it
* In StackSet.new, the Nothing should be emptyStack, with a suitable
defn for emptyStack
* In Operations, line 171, Stack should be abstract! use 'focus' to extract
the focus. Ditto line 372
* StackSet.focus is not the same as Operations.focus. Unhelpful!
* I respecfully suggest that this code (Operations.hs) is impenetrable
tiled = (W.stack . W.workspace . W.current $ this)
>>= W.filter (not . flip M.member (W.floating ws))
* In the call to restackWindows in Operations.hs, why bring the
focused window to the front of the list? Needs a comment at least.
More information about the Xmonad