[xmonad] darcs patch: Add ShowWName a layout modifier to show the workspace...

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sun Dec 30 08:29:27 EST 2007

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 01:52:48PM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> We'd definitely want to figure out a way to get a timer event into xmonad.

yes, something like this would be great. I don't know is the X server
can do that. I need to investigate (but I have the feeling the answer
is no).

> Another approach, of course, would be to simply call an external program
> that displays the workspace name and then vanishes.  It's a little hokey,
> but I suspect kdialog could do it pretty nicely.

without installing any 3rd party stuff, I think we could just create
some binaries, along with the library created by xmonad-contrib.

We could have this very little program to display the workspace name
(or any other string), with a timer. Then we could add some other
utilities, such as a screen locker, a pointer hider, and so. The stuff
I was hacking as xmonad-utils, and that I'm actually using.

Or just have this 3 package: xmonad-utils, a small set of x utilities
like the one I was talking about.

what do you think?

Andrea