[xmonad] Issue 113 in xmonad: regression in tabbed layout

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Fri Dec 28 09:41:49 EST 2007

Issue 113: regression in tabbed layout

New issue report by daveroundy:
What steps will reproduce the problem?

Select a tabbed layout, create multiple windows and click on a tab to bring
an unfocussed window into focus.  Use mod-shift-j to reorder that window.

The unfocussed window should be shown, given focus, and its tab should be
highlighted, and its tab should be moved when mod-shift-j is pressed.

Instead, the tab is briefly highlighted and then the previously-shown tab
is highlighted (although focus is still on the new window), and when
mod-shift-j is pressed the previous tab is moved, and focus is shifted to
the previous tab.

What seems to be happening is that the internal xmonad data structure isn't
reflecting the change in focus.  I'm not sure what has caused this
regression (there are possibly-related regressions in combo/dragpane), but
alas, I've no time to debug it just now (my little free time over the
holidays is going to darcs).

This is on my 700MHz PIII laptop, so it's possible this is a race condition
that would be hard to reproduce, but my network connection is flaky, so I
can't test it elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I just pulled a fair number of patches, so the change
is probably either in xmonad core between

Tue Dec 18 21:37:26 EST 2007  Adam Vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com>
  * Update manpage to describe greedyView

and

Thu Dec 27 03:03:56 EST 2007  Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu>
  * Broadcast button events to all layouts, fix for issue #111

or it's in contrib, between

Sat Dec 15 12:16:17 EST 2007  Shachaf Ben-Kiki <shachaf at gmail.com>
  * Add UrgencyHook support to Tabbed

and

Tue Dec 25 22:24:12 EST 2007  Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu>
  * Don't bother checking executable bits of items in $PATH, yields a
significant speed-up

My guess is that the regression is in the change in the sending of button
events, but it'll take me a half hour to recompile without that change, so
I'll submit this now and test later.

Issue attributes:
	Owner: daveroundy
	Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium Component-Contrib