[xmonad] Sshprompt, Urxvt and TERM

Dominik Bruhn dominik at dbruhn.de
Tue Dec 25 12:05:04 EST 2007

Hy,
I use urxvt as my TerminalEmulator and I connect to several SSH servers
and many of them havent got the terminfo for rxvt. This leads into many
problems and errors on the remote-machines. Thats why I got this in my
.bashrc:

if [ "$TERM" = "rxvt-unicode" ]; then
    export TERM="xterm"    #fixes ssh issues (rxvt-unicode unknown)
fi

This works fine as urxvt is xterm compatible and all my remote-machines
know xterm.

The problem is: If starting a ssh-session from the SSH-Prompt Module of
XMonad this setting doesnt work because .bashrc isnt evaluated. I know
this is not a XMonad-Fault but perhaps somebody got a hint how I can
work arround this.

Thanks
--
Dominik Bruhn