[xmonad] darcs patch: Core.hs: rename ~/.xmonad/xmonad-arch-os binary to ~/....

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 12:05:35 EST 2007

On 2007.12.24 17:14:18 +0100, Dominik Bruhn <dominik at dbruhn.de> scribbled 4.4K characters:
> Hy,
> imho this is not the right solution. It is a binary file you can execute
> and should not start with its architecture but with its name "xmonad".
> Why do we need this patch?
>
> Dominik

I think the name makes perfect sense. You can't necessarily run it on another architecture, so that's what most important to know. And consider: the user will probably never need to run it manually, so for that purpose there is no difference between xmonad-arch-os or os-arch-xmonad or whatever - but when it gets in the way of tab completion (it has enough times to bother me and I think Shacaf also mentioned it bugging him), the user definitely does notice!

As for why - this patch is one of a number of patches trying to make the world safe for shell users.

--
gwern
NSY SBS Atlas government Choe b Macintosh Austin Cornflower KY-75