[xmonad] xmonad user survey!

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 23 22:34:30 EST 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 09:47:34PM -0800, Don Stewart wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> xmonad's reaching a fairly stable place featurewise (and
stability-wise too).

I came to tiling WM's by way of wmii(2) and loved it for quite a while,
but when debian moved to wmii3 I didn't feel like relearning it
all... I had developed a workflow and wanted to stick with it. So I
went off to IceWM for a while and after using that, and tweaking it, I
realised I was trying to make it behave more like a tiling WM. heh.

anyway, I relearned wmii, but had a kind of nasty session with them on
IRC where I asked how to do something (don't remember what) and
basically got told to get lost. And I had even offered to look into
coding up a solution to the problem if they could talk to me about
it!!  Well, anyway, I went looking, always had an interest in Haskell,
and here I am.

> Now is perhaps a good time to ask people what we can do to improve
> xmonad further.
>
>     * What things annoy you?

lack of how-to's. Sometimes I just need a dumb step-by-step to get me
started, then I can figure out the rest myself. That or screenshots
with config files well commented to explain how they affect the screen
shot would be nice...

>     * What things do you like?

all of it.

>     * What things can be done better?

handling of floats. I'm sure it can be done and I jsut haven't figured
it out yet, but pushing things into and out of tiling should be
easier. (i'm still on .4 so I realise these may be solved). Sometimes
I can get things tiled, but can't get them to later float. And its
annoying to move to the mouse to manipulate floats -- I'd like to
move, resize with keys. Again, I realise these may already be do-able
and I just haven't figured it out.

>     * What things are missing?

again, may already exist: grow or shrink the current window and then
revert it to managed mode. sometimes this or that window needs to be a
little bit bigger for just a minute and the it can go back to being
controlled by the wm. sort of like Mod-L|H and its control of the
master pane, the same should be doable for any window. And there needs
to be a way to revert to the default size, the modifications made with
Mod-L|H can be reverted in one keystroke.

>     * What things do you     miss from ion/wmii/dwm/compiz

tagging. although, now that I'm dual head its not a big deal, on my
laptop it would be nice to tag, say, IRC window, to be on every
workspace. I realise it might have a different layout on each one...

>     * What things do you not miss from ion/wmii/dwm/compiz ... :)

annoying devs. A "we are better than everyone else attitude"...

> If you've any suggestions for things we can change to make xmonad better
> fit your workflow or whatever, please shout out!

keep on keepin' on. Great work guys and a testiment to your skills and
the power of Haskell.