[xmonad] Issue 96 in xmonad: certain dialogs get dropped in gnucash

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 12 23:12:35 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 05:35:16PM -0800, codesite-noreply at google.com wrote:
> Issue 96: certain dialogs get dropped in gnucash
> http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=96
>
> Comment #4 by jcreigh:
> dons on #xmonad requested a little more detail on the resolution of this
> bug, so this
> is my attempt to clarify matters. The version of Gnucash I tested against
> was 2.2.1
>
> The issue was that xmonad was unmapping a window when it received a synthetic
> UnmapNotify event but when the (real) UnmapNotify response came from xmonad's
> UnmapWindow request, xmonad was failing to ignore that event.
>
> This gets us in trouble with Gnucash, which, for some reason, sends, one
> after the
> other, a MapRequest, a synthetic UnmapNotify and then another MapRequest.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: this looks an awful lot
like Gnucash is doing something wrong. Why would some dialogs but not
others generate this behavior? It must be something internal to
gnucash that is broken or at least odd. GNucash only fairly recently
completed the transtion to gtk2.0 and it's likely that some problems
exist.

WHat sort of things would I look for in Gnucash that might cause this?
Is it the type of thing that might be caused by some spurious extra
call to a window creation routine, for example?

If I get some decent pointers, I could dig into the code and try to
track it down on the gnucash end so that your less-than-ideal solution
could be cleaned up.