[xmonad] newbie #2: "could not find module" XMonad.NoBorders, XMonad.Layout.NoBorders, etc.

Ralph E. Carter vamosaverlas at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 23:00:17 EST 2007

I have searched the documention, and googled it.

I had xmonad-0.4.1 running with extensions.
I now have the default xmonad-0.5 running, and responding to changes in the ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs.

But, I can't get it see any contrib extension.
e.g., if I put "import XMonad.foo" in ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs, and hit alt-q,
I get the popup screen saying:

***
Error detected while loading xmonad configuration file: /home/whatever/.xmonad/xmonad.hs

xmonad.hs:17:7:
     Could not find module `XMonad.foo':
          it is not a module in the current program, or in any known package.

Please check the file for errors.
***

My xmonad source is here: /root/xmonad/xmonad-0.5
I did this for root (entered as root):
runhaskell Setup configure
runhaskell Setup build
runhaskell Setup install
The executable and xmonad.hs are here: /root/.xmonad

I did this for username (entered as root):
runhaskell Setup configure --user --prefix=/home/username
runhaskell Setup build
runhaskell Setup install --user
The executable and xmonad.hs are here: /home/username/.xmonad

My xmonad-contrib source is here: /root/xmonad/xmonad-contrib-0.5
I ran the same commands as above.

I need to know where to put xmonad-contrib-0.5 (?), or parts of it (?), or the extension.hs files
themselves (?) such as NoBorders.hs, or, how to "register" them (?) to make them visible.
(I tried putting xmonad-contrib-0.5 under xmonad-0.5, for example. Etc.)
Now that we have on-the-fly config, I shouldn't have to recompile anything, right?

The excellent documentation includes good examples of includes in the xmonad.hs, but I don't see this
problem discussed.
I hope my problem suggests an improvement to the documentation, rather than density on my part.
Thank you.