[xmonad] Input Methods and Hangul

Xiao-Yong Jin xj2106 at columbia.edu
Fri Dec 7 13:41:47 EST 2007

"Max Rabkin" <max.rabkin at gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 6, 2007 11:23 PM, Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106 at columbia.edu> wrote:
>> And also make sure that the locale is
>> correct.
>
> Does that mean I must set my locale to KO to write Korean? Because I
> can't do that: I don't understand enough Korean for my programs to run
> in it. But I'm learning, so I like to be able to type in it sometimes.

It depends on the input method.  Usually it isn't necessary.
Setting it to be what_EVER.UTF-8 may work.  Otherwise,
LANG=what_EVER.UTF-8 and only LC_CTYPE=ko_KR.UTF-8 should
definitely do the trick.  I use fcitx to input Chinese, and
en_US.UTF-8 is enough for it to process all the characters,
except some special symbols that depend on particular
encoding.

Xiao-Yong
--