[Xmonad] xmonad-utils: small x apps for xmonad

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Wed Aug 22 07:20:40 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm putting together some small x applications I find useful to run
with xmonad. The idea *was* to make some nice small Haskell examples
of X applications, but I don't think I'm really so willing to rewrite
them in a nice style... I prefer invest some time in learning _new_
cool Haskell stuff...;-)

Still I find them useful and I'm going to share them. Since one
requires the darcs version of X11-Extras if I'll release them I'll do
after xmonad-0.3.

You can grab them here:
darcs get http://gorgias.mine.nu/repos/xmonad-utils/

What's inside:
1. hslock: a CHaskell rewrite of slock/alock whatever. To lock the screen.[1]

2. hxsel: a CHaskell rewrite of sselp[2]. It returns the string currently
   in the X selection. I use it for opening urls, looking up words in
   the dictionary: I select a word with the mouse and then I bind a
   xmonad key to execute a small bash script like:

#!/bin/sh
URL=`hxsel`
/usr/lib/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client -a firefox "openurl(${URL},new-tab)"

3. hmanage: to toggle override_redirect. Makes a window unmanaged. The
   window id you need can be retrieved with xwininfo.

[1] http://www.suckless.org/download/slock-0.6.tar.gz
[2] http://www.suckless.org/download/sselp-0.1.tar.gz

Now that I have reimplemented dmenu, slock and sselp only lsw and swarp
are left...;-)

andrea

ps: I will be off line till Sunday, starting from tonight (~22.00 UTC).