[Xmonad] Some questions

Xiao-Yong Jin xj2106 at columbia.edu
Thu Aug 9 22:11:58 EDT 2007

Michael Vanier <mvanier at cs.caltech.edu> writes:

> I note that under ion, mplayer fullscreen mode goes to what appears to
> be a new workspace.  Maybe this is a usable trick, or maybe it's just
> an awful hack.
>
> Mike
>
> David Roundy wrote:
>> kpdf and evince fullscreen modes are also broken, and kpdf generally
>> strikes me as a pretty well-written program.  I have no idea what hints or
>> tricks are supposed to make full-screen mode work, but am pretty certain
>> that xmonad doesn't understand them properly.  It's a shame, because it's
>> one of the easier requests to handle! (But I have no idea how to fix it
>> myself, so I'm part of the problem...)
>>
>> David
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 02:14:04PM -0700, Michael Vanier wrote:
>>> FWIW I've found mplayer to behave pretty badly under xmonad.
>>> Sometimes when I've used it the display doesn't come up at all,
>>> other times it comes up fine.  I'm not sure if this is the fault of
>>> xmonad or mplayer (mplayer is one of the least stable Linux
>>> applications I know of).
>>>
>>> Mike

DWM circumvents it by tagging some particular programs NULL.

---------- DWM config.h ----------
/* Query class:instance:title for regex matching info with following command:
 * xprop | awk -F '"' '/^WM_CLASS/ { printf("%s:%s:",$4,$2) }; /^WM_NAME/ { printf("%s\n",$2) }' */
#define RULES \
static Rule rule[] = { \
        /* class:instance:title regex   tags regex      isfloating */ \
        { "Gimp",                       NULL,           True }, \
        { "MPlayer",                    NULL,           True }, \
        { "Acroread",                   NULL,           True }, \
};

- Xiao-Yong
--