[Xmonad] Remote Controlling XMonad: Cases and Materials

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Aug 7 14:47:07 EDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 03:45:56PM +0200, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 01:22:32PM +0200, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> > BTW, these patches require a vary small modification to XMonad itself.
> > XMonad has just to wait for a propertyNotify event sent to the root
> > window. If that happens a hook is called (I named that hook
> > serverHook).
>
> Well, I build up such a case... typical of a lawyer I'd say...;-)
>
> Now I'm studying some of David's code, and LayoutHelpers, specifically.
>
> There's no need at all to modify XMonad, this is just a simple contrib
> module I'm going to submit shortly.
>
> Unfortunately David did not document much his code, and some of it,
> even if designed to help others, remains unused. I'll try to write
> some documentation too. I'm sure David doesn't mind.

I will greatly appreciate contributed documentation--or API improvements.
LayoutHelpers was basically thrown together quickly to try to create *some*
sort of working interface for a Layout transformer, but it isn't really
something I can be proud of.  :(

It's been continually a hack.  I have been thinking that we (I?) ought to
define a layout monad L that basically would track the state of the layout
(something like a state monad stacked on top of X) and return a value.
Then we could write much prettier layout code.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics