[Xmonad] [solved - sort of] xmd and xmonad

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Mon Aug 6 07:44:30 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:19:47PM +0200, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> XDM authorization key matches an existing client!
> xmonad: user error (openDisplay)

> Still it's not clear to me what is causing the problem.

I'm not able to find out what exactly is causing the problem (google
tells me that everyone is puzzled by that).

Still I have found a solution/work around.

Just add this line to /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:
DisplayManager*authName: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1

This way the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 will be used as the authorization key
instead of the XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key, which seems to be causing the
problem.

After that the issue disappears.

I found the solution here:
http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20070213.103659.e7f758c9.en.html

If some of you has a clear idea of what is going on that would be
great. You could be the first one to sort this problem out...;-)

Ciao
Andrea

PS: Should we write something about that somewhere or just forget
about it?