[Xmonad] xmd and xmonad

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Mon Aug 6 04:43:45 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 06:32:38PM +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> What's in your .xsession-errors? Are you breaking a pipe in your
> .xsession script?  Are you in a race condition of some kind, so you end
> up forking and failing?

Well, no .xsession-errors, no pipe in my .xsession scripts, no race
condition I'm aware of.

I reproduced it with a plain, clean xmonad build: no external modules
loaded, and no startup scripts at all.

Hope to express myself clearly, but I do not think this is a bug in
xmonad.

I have instead the feeling this is the way xdm works with a client.

>From the man page:

"Xdm provides services similar to those provided by init, getty and
login on character terminals: prompting for login name and password,
authenticating the user, and running a ``session.''

"A ``session'' is defined by the lifetime of a particular process; in
the traditional character-based terminal world, it is the user's login
shell. In the xdm context, it is an arbitrary session manager. This is
because in a windowing environment, a user's login shell process does
not necessarily have any terminal-like interface with which to
connect. When a real session manager is not available, a window
manager or terminal emulator is typically used as the ``session
manager,'' meaning that termination of this process terminates the
user's session."

Does XMonad.restart works with this kind of approach?

Can anyone else reproduce it, or it's just my system being broken?
This would be a valuable information.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Andrea