[Xmonad] initialization when running xmonad using xnest

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 3 17:41:34 EDT 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 17:09 , Michael Vanier wrote:

> Huh, I think I was asking the wrong question then.  I don't really
> want to do all the things that are done in my .xinitrc file.  I
> noticed, though, that (for instance) my .Xresources are ignored
> inside the xnested xmonad, so I have to do

Correct thing to do is have a ~/.xinitrc.Xnest and do:

startx ~/.xinitrc.Xnest -- Xnest :1

(the full pathname to .xinitrc is important, otherwise it runs your
regular .xinitrc and passes the stuff before the -- as arguments.  on
the other hand, you could use that to customize your .xinitrc...)

Hm, except that XFree86 broke startx at one point such that it always
passed them as arguments.  I *think* xorg fixed that, but you should
test to make sure startx does the right thing in that case.  Or
possibly use xinit directly instead of startx.   (startx is just a
wrapper around xinit that invokes a standard system-wide xinitrc and/
or xserverrc as needed.  Since you're specifying both the xinitrc and
an X server, you can safely use xinit directly.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu