[Xmonad] freebsd build issues

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Apr 24 01:09:17 EDT 2007

clawsie:
> hi, this is in regards to a build problem in X11-1.2, required to
> build xmonad
>
> after running
>
> runhaskell Setup.hs configure --user --prefix=$HOME/local
>
> i see in the output,
>
> checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
>
> and furthermore, in X11.buildinfo, i see
>
> ld-options:  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
>
> but upon running
>
> runhaskell Setup.hs build
>
> i see
>
> Preprocessing library X11-1.2...
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
> linking Graphics/X11/Types_hsc_make.o failed
> command was: /usr/local/bin/ghc-6.6 -lX11Graphics/X11/Types_hsc_make.o -o Graphics/X11/Types_hsc_make
> Setup.hs: got error code while preprocessing: Graphics.X11.Types
>
> i don't know why the -L is not being passed to ghc, i am not sure how
> to force this, or even if i should have to considering that it is
> being populated in X11.buildinfo. i also have /usr/X11R6/lib in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> this is on freebsd6.2, probably similar to other bsds that still might
> be using /usr/X11R6
>
> thanks for any help you can provide
> brad

We've had two other reports of this on BSD-based systems, and I've had
it myself on OpenBSD. The problem appears to be Cabal not propagating
ld flags.  And it seems to be fixed in the newest Cabal.

Brad, could you try updating Cabal to the most recent release, and then
try again?

If that does indeed fix it, I'll start an FAQ web page for this info.

-- Don