[Xmonad] the latest in XMonad.Mosaic

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Sat Apr 21 19:09:04 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've been hacking a bit on my "Mosaic" layout.  It now allows the user to
dynamically set some windows to be square (reasonably so, anyhow), and give
preferences for the area allocated to individual windows, and to tune the
preferred aspect ratios for all windows (except the square ones).  It's
sort of an arbitrary set of features, but it now makes this layout a
potentially useful one.

Of course, it'll be more useful when I've implemented a scheme for
configuring certain classes of windows to have certain properties, so you
won't have to tell each xclock to be small and square.  And like all the
layouts (except full-screen) it's pretty useless if there are many windows
in a given workspace.

Anyhow, in case anyone's interested, I didn't have to make any
modifications to xmonad except to Config.hs (which is documented in
comments in Mosaic.hs), and the keybindings are:

mod-l : try to make all windows shorter and wider
mod-h : try to make all windows taller and skinnier
mod-shift-l : try to make focussed window bigger
mod-shift-h : try to make focussed window smaller
mod-shift-s : try to make focussed window square

You can get the code with

darcs get http://physics.oregonstate.edu/~roundyd/XMonad

and if you do this get while in the xmonad directory, you'll be all set to
go (once you've edited Config.hs).

I'll appreciate comments, suggestions, patches...
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net