gmrun and pasting (was Re: [Xmonad] darcs patch: fix typo. (and 1 more))

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Mon Apr 16 09:59:24 EDT 2007

Gwern Branwen on 2007-04-15 23:20:24 -0400:

>  Alec Berryman <alec at thened.net> writes:
>
> > Donald Bruce Stewart on 2007-04-16 09:13:31 +1000:
> >
> >> droundy:

> >> Does anyone know of a 3rd party tool for this? Like dmenu , but for more
> >> complex input?
> >
> > gmrun includes tab-completion, handles URLs, and can open specified
> > programs in a shell.
>
>  Does gmrun also handle pasting, either through a mouse or a keybinding
>  (preferably the latter)?

Yes to both, but due to either a bug in gmrun or xmonad, it isn't
particularly convenient.  If I copy something to the X11 clipboard by
selecting it with the mouse, then run gmrun via the default keybinding,
I can't paste either with a middle click or with shift-insert.  If I
switch to another window, I can still paste what I had previously
copied, and if I now copy something to the clipboard and switch back to
the still-running gmrun I can paste fine.