[Xmonad] darcs patch: fix typo. (and 1 more)

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Apr 15 19:13:31 EDT 2007

droundy:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 02:25:52PM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> > [...] The question is, what's left to add?  Right now, the biggest lack
> > which I can identify in Xmonad as compared to my old Ratpoison/Stumpwm
> > setup is the lack of any sort of status bar or display area where I can
> > dump the output of 'top -n 1' or 'uptime' an' so on. Input seems
> > handle-able by dmenu (despite a bad habit of changing apostrophes to
> > backticks) and similar programs so output is the problem.
>
> Well, for me the ability to customize the tile layout is pretty high in
> priority, as are tabs.  Of course, you may say it's my fault for

Right. I'd hope ,  as I've said earlier, we could do all this via
contributed Config.hs files. Leaving the core xmonad as a dwm-like
system. but with arbitrary functionality via extra modules.

> considering switching to a window manager modelled after one that I
> dislike, but there it is.
>
> After that, I'd be interested in a decent input prompt (which dmenu is
> not).  Ion's is better, but I'd rather figure out how to make use of an
> actual bash shell, as the tab completion of ion's query box is annoying
> (but better than nothing).

Does anyone know of a 3rd party tool for this? Like dmenu , but for more
complex input?

Also, does dzen get us anywhere towards this?

> I guess with those changes (which I understand are pretty huge), xmonad
> would have pretty much caught up with ion3 in functionality that I care
> about.  Oh, and the ability to customize treatment of windows.  I don't
> want xclock to ever get the focus, for instance, and would prefer if I
> could stick the stupid korgac control panel application somewhere where
> it'll never be seen, and at a minimum to avoid giving it focus.

Not obvious how to do that yet.

-- Don