[Xmonad] Dynamically reloading Config

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 07:31:29 EDT 2007

On 4/13/07, Donald Bruce Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> v.dijk.bas:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is it possible to dynamically reload the Config?
> >
> > In a previous thread dons mentioned mod-ctrl-shift-q which calls
> > 'restart' which exec()s itself. However when I do that xmonad closes
> > and I'm back at my xdm prompt.
>
> Hmm. You should you didn't 'quit' instead of 'restart'?
>
> mod-shift-q == quit, back to xdm
> mod-shift-q-ctrl == restart, fork the xmonad binary again.
>
> If the latter doesn't work, its a bug report you need to write :-)
>
> > Maybe that has to do with my ~/.xsession:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > xsetroot -gray                        &
> > Esetroot ~/pictures/lastlight1280.jpg &
> > firefox http://mail.google.com/mail &
> > /home/bas/bin/xmonad
>
> The last line should be:
>     exec /home/bas/bin/xmonad
> I think.
>
> -- Don

Even if I change the last line of my ~/.xsession to 'exec
/home/bas/bin/xmonad' then xmonad still closes after mod-shift-q-ctrl.

What information is helpful in finding this bug? For starters here's
my Config.hs:

-- |
-- Module      :  Config.hs
-- Copyright   :  (c) Spencer Janssen 2007
-- License     :  BSD3-style (see LICENSE)
-- Maintainer  :  dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
-- Stability   :  stable
-- Portability :  portable

module Config where

--
-- xmonad bindings follow mostly the dwm/wmii conventions:
--
--     key combination         action
--
--     mod-shift-return        new xterm
--     mod-p                   launch dmenu
--     mod-shift-p             launch gmrun
--
--     mod-space               switch tiling mode
--
--     mod-tab                 raise next window in stack
--     mod-j
--     mod-k
--
--     mod-h                   resize currently focused window
--     mod-l
--
--     mod-shift-c             kill client
--     mod-shift-q             exit window manager
--     mod-shift-ctrl-q        restart window manager
--
--     mod-return              cycle the current tiling order
--
--     mod-1..9                switch to workspace N
--     mod-shift-1..9          move client to workspace N
--
--     mod-w,e,r               switch to physical/Xinerama screen 1, 2 or 3.
--
-- xmonad places each window into a "workspace." Each workspace can have
-- any number of windows, which you can cycle though with mod-j and mod-k.
-- Windows are either displayed full screen, tiled horizontally, or tiled
-- vertically. You can toggle the layout mode with mod-space, which will
-- cycle through the available modes.
--
-- You can switch to workspace N with mod-N. For example, to switch to
-- workspace 5, you would press mod-5. Similarly, you can move the current
-- window to another workspace with mod-shift-N.
--
-- When running with multiple monitors (Xinerama), each screen has exactly
-- 1 workspace visible. When xmonad starts, workspace 1 is on screen 1,
-- workspace 2 is on screen 2, etc. If you switch to a workspace which is
-- currently visible on another screen, xmonad simply switches focus to
-- that screen. If you switch to a workspace which is *not* visible, xmonad
-- replaces the workspace on the *current* screen with the workspace you
-- selected.
--
-- For example, if you have the following configuration:
--
-- Screen 1: Workspace 2
-- Screen 2: Workspace 5 (current workspace)
--
-- and you wanted to view workspace 7 on screen 1, you would press:
--

import Data.Ratio
import Data.Bits

-- The number of workspaces:
workspaces :: Int
workspaces = 9

-- modMask lets you easily change which modkey you use. The default is mod1Mask
-- ("left alt").  You may also consider using mod3mask ("right alt"), which
-- does not conflict with emacs keybindings.
modMask :: KeyMask
modMask = mod1Mask
-- modMask = 115 -- Windows start button
-- modMask = xK_Meta_L

-- How much to change the horizontal/vertical split bar by defalut.
defaultDelta :: Rational
defaultDelta = 3%100

-- How much to change the size of a tiled window, by default.
sizeDelta :: Rational
sizeDelta = 3%100

-- The mask for the numlock key. You may need to change this on some systems.
numlockMask :: KeyMask
numlockMask = lockMask

-- What layout to start in, and what the default proportion for the
-- left pane should be in the tiled layout.  See LayoutDesc and
-- friends in XMonad.hs for options.
startingLayoutDesc :: LayoutDesc
startingLayoutDesc =
    LayoutDesc { layoutType   = Full
               , tileFraction = 1%2  }

-- The keys list.
keys :: M.Map (KeyMask, KeySym) (X ())
keys = M.fromList $
    [ ((modMask .|. shiftMask, xK_Return), spawn "Eterm --buttonbar=0
--trans --shade=60 --tint=blue -v -f white")
    , ((modMask,               xK_p     ), spawn "exe=`dmenu_path |
dmenu` && exec $exe")
    , ((modMask .|. shiftMask, xK_p     ), spawn "gmrun")
    , ((modMask,               xK_space ), switchLayout)

    , ((modMask,               xK_Tab   ), raise GT)
    , ((modMask,               xK_j     ), raise GT)
    , ((modMask,               xK_k     ), raise LT)

    , ((modMask,               xK_h     ), changeSplit (negate defaultDelta))
    , ((modMask,               xK_l     ), changeSplit defaultDelta)

    , ((modMask .|. shiftMask, xK_c     ), kill)

    , ((modMask .|. shiftMask, xK_q                     ), io $
exitWith ExitSuccess)
    , ((modMask .|. shiftMask .|. controlMask, xK_q     ), io restart)

    -- Cycle the current tiling order
    , ((modMask,               xK_Return), promote)

    ] ++
    -- Keybindings to get to each workspace:
    [((m .|. modMask, xK_0 + fromIntegral i), f (fromIntegral (pred
i))) -- index from 0.
        | i <- [1 .. workspaces]
        , (f, m) <- [(view, 0), (tag, shiftMask)]]

    -- Keybindings to each screen :
    -- mod-wer (underneath 123) switches to physical/Xinerama screens 1 2 and 3
    ++
    [((m .|. modMask, key), screenWorkspace sc >>= f)
        | (key, sc) <- zip [xK_w, xK_e, xK_r] [0..]
        , (f, m) <- [(view, 0), (tag, shiftMask)]]