[Haskell wikibook] Truth values and a couple other things

Daniel Mlot duplode_1 at yahoo.com.br
Sat May 29 04:09:44 EDT 2010

While trying to think about how I could tackle the section on numerical
types in "Type basics" I found out that I couldn't reason properly about
it without knowing to which extent types would be discussed in the
previous sections. That led me to "jump the gun" and attempt writing the
bulk of the section myself. Apfelmus, please forgive me if that bothers
you in any way (for instance, if you had a draft of your own being
prepared) - in any case, just as I took some liberties with your outline
feel free to do the same and turn my text upside down if you feel the
need to :)

I will use this message to register some issues that are roaming in my
mind lest I forget to mention them:

* Since we are reorganizing and rewriting most of the first chapters
anyway it could be a good opportunity to standardize the style of code
blocks. One option would be just using <source> tags everywhere to get
syntax highlighting (with recent changes to the Wikibooks CSS files
<source> is also bundled with the standard grey background box). There
would be a couple possible issues to consider, though. We would probably
have to do some template engineering, although I don't think that would
be too troublesome. Another source of annoyance would be that GHCi
printouts, ubiquitous on the early chapters, wouldn't be subject to the
same standardization. Finally, there is the didactic concern of whether
highlighting can be distracting for complete newbies during the first
few modules (I do not have a really strong position on the subject but
feel that "plain" plain text does have some charm due to sheer
simplicity and transparency).

* One thing that occurred to me while writing about guards: is it even
accurate to speak of our if/else and related constructs as "control
structures"? Even if it is correct, is there any better term to use -
one that does not have such imperative undertones?

Regards,
Daniel Mlot