[Haskell wikibook] Re: "List of topics" meta-module

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu May 13 06:34:51 EDT 2010

Daniel Mlot wrote:
> As a product of the discussions we (mainly me and Apfelmus) had over the
> last few threads I created a "List of topics" page in
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell/List_of_topics . It is a simple
> presentation of the key topics covered by the book modules with
> occasional comments. The intention is to make picturing the structure of
> the book and brainstorming about large-scale reorganizations easier. As
> of now it covers only "Haskell Basics", "Elementary Haskell" and
> "Intermediate Haskell". If you find the list useful feel free to discuss
> book structure in its talk page, expand it to cover the advanced
> chapters or make test edits to visualize the effects of changes to the
> book organization.

I've added the new structure for "Haskell Basics" as I envision it,
neatly put into a table next to the old one.

I'm still a bit hazy on the cheat sheet chapter, because it needs to do
several things simultaneously:

* introduce each category and mention which functions are important and
which are not; pointing to more detailed discussion for lists and IO
* present a quick overview list of the functions
* give a slightly more detailed account of each function

The idea is that the reader is given some exercises and he'll have to
hunt the right functions for these tasks.

There is no need to organize the advanced chapters in detail, they are
only loosely coupled anyway; they can be interchanged freely.

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com