[Haskell wikibook] Using XHTML Elements in the Wikibook

PR Stanley prstanley at ntlworld.com
Sat May 19 10:55:44 EDT 2007

> > I'm wondering if a small amount of HTML tagging may not be such a bad
> > idea considering the accessibility benefits.
>
>Could you clarify what you mean by accessibility benefits?
>
>Thanks,
Certainly. I am totally blind and therefore rely
on a screen reader for keyboard access to and
auditory feedback from the Operating system and
software programs.  The screen reader is designed
to function in an environment of standard and
some lesser known HCI design practices.  The wide
range of functionality with which the screen
reader is equipped enables the user to maintain
an acceptable degree of access in most
situations.  Java is perhaps the only exception
in this regard but even so there are possible
solutions albeit they fall outside the confines of this discussion.
Modern screen readers offer a wide selection of
navigation aids for surfing the increasingly
choppy waves of the world wide web.  the average
screen reader interprets a web page in accordance
to its logical structural components, namely,
headings, paragraphs, lists, tables, form
elements, anchor elements and so on.  The user is
thus able to move between these components with
the associated navigation commands provided by the screen reader.
Of course, HTML elements alone are not enough to
guarantee the minimum acceptable degree of
accessibility of a web page.  The screen reader
reformats the page into a single-column document
with each HTML element displayed in block mode.
In certain situations it even tries to find a
sensible label for img elements which do not have
an alt attribute. Yet, lousy design decisions
will continue to pose insurmountable challenges.
Fortunately, the Haskell Wikibook is for the most
part fully navigable; however, the inclusion of
XHTML elements would increase accessibility hugely.
I hope this answers your question. If you like to
learn more about screen readers please visit: www.gwmicro.com
Regards,
Paul