[web-devel] proxy with wai

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sun Mar 8 07:28:30 UTC 2015

I've updated that Gist to be compatible with WAI 3.0. The basic changes I
made were:

1. Change the way Warp settings are applied (no longer use record syntax,
but explicit set* functions).
2. conduit is no longer the standard streaming interface for WAI, so
imported Network.Wai.Conduit and used helper functions from there.
3. The specific question you asked about: the semantics for how to do
resource allocation in an application have changed. There were some holes
in the previous approach that allowed async exceptions to leak in at the
wrong time. Instead, WAI 3.0 uses a similar interface to most resource
allocation functions in Haskell (like bracket or withFile). Specifically,
this looks like:

    HCl.withResponse req2 man $ \res -> do
        let body = mapOutput (Chunk . fromByteString) $
HCC.bodyReaderSource $ HCl.responseBody res
            headers = filter safeResHeader $ HCl.responseHeaders res
        respond $ responseSource (HCl.responseStatus res) headers body

Some notes on this are available at:

*
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/wai-3.0.2.3/docs/Network-Wai.html#t:Application
*