[web-devel] http-client library

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Oct 4 04:48:04 CEST 2013

After some discussion with Kazu, I'm planning on starting work on a new
package called http-client. The goal will be to separate out the core
functionality from http-conduit into a lower-dependency package. In
particular, I'm hoping to get a package without dependencies on tls,
conduit, or resourcet. The motivations for this are:

* Kazu and I need a lighter-weight library for testing out Warp.
* With WAI 2.0 coming out, the resourcet-dependent interface of
http-conduit currently doesn't make as much sense.
* By separating things out like this, I believe we can get clean things up.
* The vast majority of the http-conduit codebase has nothing at all to do
with TLS or conduit support. Persistent connections, cookie handling,
multipart forms, chunking, etc, all fall purely into the realm of raw HTTP
support. By getting these core features out there separately, people will
be able to take advantage of them without reinventing the wheel.

Is there any interest from others in this project? If so, please let me
know, as specific requests can help guide the API decisions I make.