[web-devel] [Yesod] Re: Next version of WAI: cleaning house

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Jul 24 17:29:34 CEST 2013

My concern is that, by throwing in as much information as possible in
Request, we'll essentially be diluting the meaning of the values there. My
approach was to only include values in Request that can be reliably
reported by all backends, or at the very least would clearly be nonsense
for certain backends[1]. My big concern is making it easy to write
incorrect code. My question is: what is a concrete example where you would
want the isSecure field in Request? If you're talking about a case where
you're using warp-tls and no reverse proxies, then you can tell your
application (via a config parameter, for example) that this is the case.

Maybe I just don't have the right mental model for what people are
expecting for WAI. I want to understand the use cases better, so please
keep up the discussion :).

[1] Example: wai-test clearly has to provide a fake IP address for the
remote end of the connection.