[web-devel] Announce: markdown 0.1

Francesco Mazzoli f at mazzo.li
Tue Jul 17 12:36:34 CEST 2012

At Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:05:44 +0300,
Michael Snoyman wrote:
> As for discount and sundown: I actually forgot to mention in my
> "distinguishing features" that the markdown package is pure Haskell, which
> makes it far simpler to get it working on Windows, and simplifies to some
> extent uploading executables to a server. In theory, markdown also has the
> potential to be a very fast renderer, though I have neither benchmarked it nor
> optimized it yet.

I don't know about `discount', but the sundown library is very lightweight and
with no dependencies, so I doubt you'll have problems building that
anywhere. That also reminds me that I should update it with upstream :).

Moreover, sundown is thoroughly battle tested (it runs GitHub).

However, there are still advantage to the pure Haskell approach - the biggest
one is that you're working with sane datatypes instead that with char*...

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt