[web-devel] Announce: markdown 0.1

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Jul 16 15:20:00 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Simon Hengel <sol at typeful.net> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
>> I've just released the first version of the markdown package to
>> Hackage[1]. I've been using this package for a while already for
>> rendering blog posts on yesodweb.com. I put in some time today
>> cleaning it up and fixing some features, and feel it's now ready for
>> an experimental release.
>
> I'm looking for an replacement for pandoc to unlit Haskell code from
> README.markdow files (so that I can make sure that code examples from
> the README actually work).  The pain with pandoc is, that it takes quite
> some time to build.  This is especially an issue if you use travis-ci,
> as it delays failure reports about 5 minutes.
>
> In terms of build times, this package is already an improvement, but
> still not ideal.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Hi Simon,

One thing that has slowed build times significantly before is the
`pack` function from `text`. Starting with 0.11.2, that's been
improved drastically. I'm not sure if that's affecting you at all. But
in general, I'm not trying to optimize for build times. I intend
markdown to be another web library, and in then vein will allow it to
depend on any library that I consider a "standard" web library. In
this case, that includes some heavy hitters, like attoparsec.

But for your purposes, I think the Text.Markdown.Block module itself
(documentation hidden on Hackage, but have a look at the source) will
probably provide you with the best API, and it only depends on
`conduit`. It might be worth looking into building a tool based on
that module alone. If that works for you, we can discuss different
ways to make that available (compile time flags or a separate package
seem like valid options).