[web-devel] [Yesod] Better web app deployment

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sat May 5 19:35:22 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Lyndon Maydwell <maydwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is absolutely on par with what I've been thinking about over the
> last week. I take it you are drawing some inspiration from the Twelve
> Factor App Manifesto that you linked me to? It certainly seems that
> way :-)
>
> I started building a management application to act as an interface for
> this kind of architecture, however, I'm stuck grappling with the Yesod
> form model as I haven't had much time to spend on it yet.
>
> A couple of ideas:
>
> Are you planning to have strong isolation between the applications
> using some kind of sand-boxing? Given an Nginx reverse proxy this
> should be made quite trivial by having the apps communicating over a
> port or socket. Just a question of how it would be implemented.

I wasn't planning on it, but you're right that it should be feasible.
I suppose I've been taking the approach so far of letting the apps
have much more freedom than say a Heroku deployment. The idea would be
that only trusted apps would be running on the system.

> I feel that a framework like this would benefit enormously from having
> strong partnership with a continuous integration framework for
> actually building the applications. This could run as an application
> inside the application deployment framework in order to be nicely
> circular! A benefit of this would be that you could guarantee that the
> build and deploy architecture is the same - freeing developers from
> the worry that their local machine is a different CPU architecture or
> operating system.

Like Greg said, the ideal would be building this on a separate virtual
machine to avoid bogging down your app server with compilation. One
possible idea would be to provide a nice, powerful EC2 instance as a
community, and get a simple setup with Github commit hooks to be able
to deploy from it automatically. I definitely want to explore this,
but after the deployment system itself is in place.