[web-devel] Implementing SPDY

Robin Brandt robin.brandt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 23:33:58 CET 2012

Hello Gregory,

first of all: thanks for summing up your previous encounter with SPDY.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Gregory Collins
<greg at gregorycollins.net> wrote:
> The biggest hurdle re: implementing SPDY is the TLS bits.

I totally agree. From what I've read about the other experimental
implementations of SPDY servers I've got the impression that
implementing the TLS extensions (except next protocol negotiation) are
at least not required at the moment. Of course it would be nice to
benefit from the reduced TLS handshakes but it's not needed to start
with.

My idea was that this can be implemented afterwards once the specs for
the extensions are final. Hopefully with some help from someone who's
more into crypto code ;)

Once we've got the basic framing layer running we could start working
on the web application layer to see which changes are needed to
support stuff like server pushes via SPDY.

I haven't looked at the SPDY implementation of the upcoming firefox
version yet so I don't know if my assumptions about the TLS bits are
true but I will do so in the next days.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.

Best regards,
Robin