[web-devel] Happstack internationalization and localization

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Sat Dec 10 19:31:56 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 4:18 AM, Greg Weber <greg at gregweber.info> wrote:

> Yesod guesses the user's locale from the request headers and allows it to be
> overridden - this could easily be ported to Happstack.

Right. That sounds useful and easy to do.

> Yesod also directly
> supports putting i18n into Hamlet templates, which I think can also be done
> in Happstack. Yesod also provides a translator friendly veneer over Haskell
> data types- I think this could also be ported to different settings like
> Happstack.

We already have Hamlet support in Happstack. But, it seems like that
is not enough? We also need some stuff that is in Yesod.Message, etc?

In my ignorance, it seems like there are three pieces:

 1. a little bit of framework/application specific code that
detects/sets the language to use

 2. a bunch of framework independent code that deals with mapping
data-types to translated strings

 3. some glue code that makes it easy to use #2 with a particular
templating library

But, right now it seems that #2 is wrapped up in the yesod hierarchy
even though it would be useful for any Haskell program that wants
i18n? Or am I missing something?

- jeremy