[web-devel] Advice on implementing a web proxy

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Thu Dec 8 05:48:05 CET 2011

Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) wrote:

> >> In other
> >> words, my concern is about uploading. In my company, uploading files
> >> whose size is some giga bytes is quite common. I don't know how to
> >> relay a uploading huge file with a fixed-size buffer with Warp.
> >
> > I too would very much like to see a solution to this issue.
>
> It seems to me that your http-proxy package solves this problem. Is my
> understanding correct?

Unfortunately, no. This is listed as one of the know problems
in the readme file:

    https://github.com/erikd/http-proxy/blob/master/README.txt

I my opinion, the way to fix this is to modify and extend Wai.
I too would like to see this problem solved but its lower
priority than some of the other things I want to address.

> Your package has some duplicated code from Warp.

Indeed.

> Is it possible to
> merge the functionality to Warp and to provide the proxy feature which
> is re-usable from WAI applications?

I'm not sure. Most of the duplicated code is utility functions. If
they were may available in the Warp API, then I could use them, but
I think Warp (being a web server) and http-proxy are sufficiently
different to make it difficult to merge them.

> I would like to implement robust reverse-proxy on Warp.

So you need the standard features of Warp as well as reverse-proxy
features? Do you need to reverse proxy HTTPS as well as HTTP? I
found that perforiming proxying of HTTP relatively easy and that
doing it for HTTPS inside Warp was impossible.

Cheers,
Erik