[web-devel] [Yesod] Initial SSL support for Warp

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Sun Oct 23 06:50:33 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:

> I think you went to "http://localhost:3000/" instead of
> "https://localhost:3000/".

heh, yep.

 curl -k (don't check certificate) works. Without the -k the server quits
with this message:

 pong.hs: <socket: 9>: hPutBuf: resource vanished (Broken pipe)

> I'm not sure why Nginx would feel overkill while Pound wouldn't. I
> would think the opposite: Nginx is a fairly well-understood piece of
> technology already, with packages in most distributions, and well
> known performance characteristics. I'd use it long before something
> I've never heard of before.

Nginx provides redundant capabilities with respect to Warp (in addition
to unseeded features), whereas a load balancer provides capabilities not
present in Warp, which is why Nginx could be considered overkill. The other
aspect is that Nginx was not designed as a load balancer, whereas a real
load balancer is actually adding the capability of load balancing in
addition to SSL.

Perhaps you haven't heard of Pound becuase you haven't had the need to load
balance. HAProxy is certainly more popular, but doesn't provide SSL. Is
there a linux distro that doesn't have a pound package?

> Anyway, I think a better bet would be to provide another package like
> warp-openssl, which should be a very simple venture. But considering
> the fact that http-enumerator is already built on tls, it seems like
> tls is doing pretty well already.

Using tls server side exposes different security concerns than client side.
We wouldn't normally worry about the client side being vulnerable to timing
attacks for example.

I still think this warp-tls is great and i will probably use it myself. I am
just trying to think through all the options for different use cases.