[web-devel] wai-logger

Kazu Yamamoto ( 山本和彦 ) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Fri Aug 19 07:30:30 CEST 2011

Hello,

> 2. Would it make sense to use a Builder (from blaze-builder) in place
> of LogStr? Though based on the black magic you have going on under the
> surface there, I'm guessing you did it this way for a reason ;).

I have implemented a Builder version:

	git://github.com/kazu-yamamoto/wai-logger.git
	branch: blaze

Attached code shows how to use this version.

Please read the implementation of hPutBuilder:

	https://github.com/kazu-yamamoto/wai-logger/blob/blaze/Network/Wai/Logger/IO.hs

In this version, I guess that intermediate ByteString is not fused, so
one unnecessary intermediate ByteString is created with
toByteString. Thus, this version is slower than the original. Since
I'm a beginner of blaze-builder, I don't know how we can directly copy
Builder to Handle's buffer. Suggestions would be appreciated.

--Kazu

{-# LANGUAGE OverloadedStrings #-}

module Main where

import Blaze.ByteString.Builder (fromByteString)
import Control.Monad.IO.Class (liftIO)
import Data.ByteString.Char8
import Network.HTTP.Types (status200)
import Network.Wai
import Network.Wai.Handler.Warp
import Network.Wai.Logger
import System.IO

main :: IO ()
main = do
    initHandle stdout -- set blockBuffering
    dref <- dateInit
    run 3000 $ logApp dref

logApp :: DateRef -> Application
logApp dref req = do
    date <- liftIO $ getDate dref
    let status = status200
        len = 4
    liftIO $ hPutBuilder stdout $ apacheFormatBuilder date req status (Just len)
    liftIO $ hFlush stdout  -- delete here to see if block buffered
    return $ ResponseBuilder status
                             [("Content-Type", "text/plain")
                             ,("Content-Length", pack (show len))]
           $ fromByteString "PONG"